Firework season top tips : 2/3 weeks to go
Firework season is an exciting time for many – but for pet owners it can be overshadowed by concern for our pets due to the noise that comes with it.
With Bonfire night and firework season only 3 weeks away, here are a few top tips you can initiate to help prepare your pets for the loud bangs and the bright flashes.
2-3 weeks to go – Build a den
Building a den in an area your pet feels comfortable in, where they can hide if they are scared, can help your pet feel safe; building it in advance gives them a bit of time to adapt.
Cats and dogs find dens comforting.
- The size of the den is important as it needs to be large enough for your pet to comfortably stand up, lie down, stretch out and turn round as required, without having to leave the den
- A cave bed is a good starting point to build a den if you have one
- Ensure the den has familiar smells to them – so use old blankets, towels or old clothes
- Leaving some of their normal dry food or treats in the den area helps with positive association and can also help as a distraction
- Ensure there is free access to the den at all times, so your pets can choose when they want to access it or leave
- Covering the den with a blanket can help muffle sounds and reduce visibility of the flashes. Closing curtains and keeping lights on can help
- Cats like to be high up so if you can build a den above floor level that can encourage them to use it
- Dogs are more easily distracted with toys, so ensure there is space for some toys in the den too.
Take a look at the Pet Owners Guide to Fireworks Season below. Click to open the guide in a pdf or to download it.